In our previous blog, we look at segmentation and its importance. Today we’re going to show you how you can easily segment your database using TouchBasePro.
Before getting started
Here’s some useful information if you’re just getting started with segments.:
- Segments are created based on subscriber data stored in your account. This includes:
- Subscriber data that you’ve imported.
- Information submitted by subscribers through signup forms.
- System-generated data, like date subscribed or location.
- Recipient activity data from previously sent emails.
- Subscribers are automatically added to segments when data associated with their subscriber profile matches the rules of a segment.
- You can create as many segments as you want within a list, however, they are contained to that list — you can’t create segments that span multiple lists.
How to build a segment
To set up a new segment:
- Click Lists & subscribers.
- Click on the overflow menu (3 dots) on the right of the list you want.
- Click Add segment.
The segment builder will load.
How to create a segment rule
Click the Define a rule based on menu to select an attribute for your first rule:
- Subscriber details – Includes email address, name date subscribed, and location.
- Custom fields – Displays every custom field you have set up for the list.
- Campaign activity – Recipient activity data from previously sent campaigns. This option is only available after you’ve sent at least one campaign to the selected subscriber list.
- Journey activity – Recipient activity data from previously sent journeys. This option is only available after you’ve activated a journey for the selected subscriber list.
After you’ve selected an attribute, you then need to apply a condition to it to create a rule. For example, the screenshot below shows the attribute “Gender” with the condition “matches exactly”.
The value entered is “male”, so the rule created for this segment is: gender equals male.
Each attribute has a specific set of conditions that can be applied to it. Here’s another example where Campaign activity > Specific campaign has been selected to build a rule:
How to test a new segment
When you have finished adding the rules to build your segment, give it a name that will be easy to recognize later, then click Save and preview. This creates the segment of people on the subscriber list who match the criteria set by your rules, or rule.
The total number of active subscribers in the segment will be displayed on the page. You’ll also get a sample of some of those subscribers, as shown here:
It’s a good idea to check that the segment includes the subscribers you expect it to. Here are a few ways that you can check this:
- Click a sample subscriber’s email address to open their subscriber snapshot, where you can check to see if their field values and attributes fit the segment.
- Use the search tool above the list of sample subscribers to check for people who should be in the segment, based on the segment rules.
- Click the Export segment button, next to the search box, to download a CSV file containing all subscribers in the segment.
If you’d like us to assist you with creating your segments or even just answer any questions you may have, please get in touch.